Malaysia Day event on 16th September 2011 at the Bangkung Row (Jalan Bankung), Bulit Bandaraya, Bangsar from 3-9pm, with 40 “Pasar Malam” like tables selling food, items etc.
Some of the booths (this is an early list, the programme is still being tweaked): Gerai Orang Asli, Silverfish Books, Country Farm Organics, SPCA – dog adoption, Persatuan Warisan Sarawak, Voice of the Children, Womens Aid Organisation, IDEAS, PUSAKA, Bar Council, Loyar Burok, Sisters in Islam, Nur Salam, Harvest Centre, Seksuality Merdeka, Fiesta Feminista, WWF, Matahari Books, Pusat Kebajikan Good Shepherd, Malaysian Youth Climate Change Network, Transparency International, Andante.
DISCUSSIONS AND TALKS
- Dinner Talk -- Organiser: IDEAS -- Time 7PM-10PM -- Place: Cava -- By Invitation Only
- Discussion Forum: “Voices of the Moderates” -- Organiser: CPPS --Place: Opus -- Time: 3-6PM -- Open To Public
- Dinner Talk: Conversation on culture with Farish Noor and Eddin Khoo -- Organiser: PUSAKA -- Time 7PM-10PM -- Place: Opus -- By Minimum Donation of RM200 per person (inclusive of buffet dinner). Proceeds raised to support PUSAKA’s efforts to preserve Malaysian traditional performances.
- Discussion Forum: “In Bed With Malaysia: Exposing the Rakyat's Sexuality” -- Organiser: Seksuality Merdeka -- Time: 3-6PM -- Place: Cava -- Open to Public
- Launch of “Found in Malaysia Volume 2” with stories from featured persons -- Discussion forum: “Malaysian Writing in English – The Silverfish Experience” -- Organiser: Zi Publishing/Silverfish -- Time: 3-6PM -- Place Opus Private Room -- Open to Public
- Youth discussion forum on “Prejudice and Stereotyping in Malaysia”-- Organiser: Sisters in Islam -- Time: 7-10PM -- Place Opus Private Room -- By Minimum Donation of RM50 per person (inclusive of buffet dinner). Proceeds raised to support Sisters in Islam.
- Debate on Environment vs Development -- Organiser: Malaysian Youth Climate Change Justice Network -- Time: 3-6PM -- Place: Leonardo’s Dining Room -- Open to Public
- Talk on: Constructed Landscapes by Anurendra Jegadeva & Yee I-Lann -- Presented by the Malaysian Art Book for Children -- Time: 3-6PM -- Place: Leonardo’s Wine Loft -- Open to Public
- Undi Malaysia Project -- Organiser: Pusat Rakyat -- Time: 7-12PM -- Place: Leonardo’s Dining Room and Wine Loft -- By Minimum Donation of RM150 per person (inclusive of buffet dinner). Proceeds raised to support Undi Malaysia Project.
- Singers Amirah Ali, Azmyl Yunor with special appearance by the Effing Show
- 6to8 Accapella Group
- Nose flute performance by Raman Bah Tuin
- My Constition Skit
- Acrobatic Lion Dance
- Traditional Sabahan Dance, Traditional Sarawakian Dance, Sape Performance
- Traditional Dikir Barat performance in the style of Main Tewas with 2 groups of up to 75-100 performers from Kelantan with legendary Daud Bukit Abal
- Candle Lighting Ceremony and Negaraku
- Jom Joget with The Rozells with PRamlee, Jimmy Boyle, etc tunes.
BANGKUNG STREET BAZAAR (Curated by Bijou Bazaar, Bangkung Street, 3-9pm, Open to public. Jom Makan.) -- Featuring over 50 stalls selling various food, clothing, items, face painting, etc. Fun, food and more for the whole family.
PARTICIPATING NON-GOVERNMENT ORGANISATION EVENT PARTNERS (Participating NGOs will be setting up stalls aimed at educating the public on their various causes, Bangkung Street, 3-9pm, Open to public)
- Arts, culture, books: Persatuan Warisan Sarawak KL, Gerai Orang Asli, Pusaka, Silverfish Books, Matahari Books, Society of Children Book Writers and Illustrators
- Social Issues: Institute for Democracy and Economic Affairs (IDEAS), Womens’ Aid Organisation (WAO), Voice of the Children, My Constitution/Bar Council, Undi Malaysia – Pusat Rakyat, Sisters in Islam, Childline, Seksualiti Merdeka, Fiesta Feminista, Transparency International Malaysia
- Community: We R Malaysia, Yayasan Chow Kit, Harvest Centre, Pusat Kebajikan Good Shepherd
- Environment, animals: Malaysian Youth Climate Justice Network, Malaysian Nature Society, WWF -Malaysia, SPCA